ISO 22000 Food Safety Management System
Food is a major part of every individual. Every food supply organization tends to provide superior quality food for its consumers. Due to certain things such as lack of supervision, malpractice, food adulteration, etc., the food organization suffers from a lack of customers. In order to reduce this kind of error, it is required to follow standards and get certified by ISO to avoid any errors
In this concept, we will learn about the meaning of ISO 22000, its features, benefits, the process to get certified, and what all required for it.
(FSMS) Food Safety Management System ISO 22000 standard is primarily used by an organization that deals with food supply. It explains the requirements for the organization in order to preserve the food from danger.
What is the meaning of Food Safety Management System ISO 22000?
It is a system that operates as a mentor to the organization in order to provide better products and services to the customer and tries to reduce any defects in the process of the organization. This standard is globally applicable. It also includes Food Safety Management System ISO 22000 standard and Hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP). It gives an outline for businesses on how to monitor, develop and improve the food quality of the business.
ISO 22000:2018 contains 10 sections called clauses.
Features of ISO 22000:2018
- Communication is the key feature of every organization. Having proper communication helps to clear any confusion between workers. So this standard helps in proper interaction with the employees.
- This standard helps in systematic management.
- As it includes HACCP principles, it helps to recognize and delete any kind of flood hazard.
- ISO standards mainly provide guidelines to the organization, therefore these guidelines help the organization make proper decisions regarding the work.
- Every organization's main objective is to reach a large number of customers with its products. So this standard helps you improve your product and thus it attracts more customers to your organization.
- The relationship between an organization and a customer is mainly focused.
What is the latest version of ISO 22000?
There are some changes in the new version of ISO 22000 such as
- It includes a new level structural approach.
- It comes with a unique way of analyzing risks.
- It has a plan do check act (PDCA), which covers a system of management and HACCP principles.
- Some of the terms are in clear format.
Difference between ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000
What is FSSC 22000?
Food Safety System Certification 22000.
ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000 are very similar and their main objective is food safety. But they both have slight differences which are listed below,
- ISO 22000 is recognized by International Organisation for standardization and FSSC 22000 is recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative.
- ISO 22000 has a wider scope than FSSC 22000.
- FSSC 22000 is less preferable than ISO 22000 as it is non-flexible.
- The procedure of certification is more lengthy for FSSC 22000 than ISO 22000.
- As ISO is globally recognized, people are more reliable on ISO than FSSC.
Process of ISO 22000 Certification food safety policy
The procedure for obtaining ISO 22000:2018 certificate is briefly explained below.
- Step 1:The first step is to get a manual of ISO 22000:2018 which will be available both online and offline. Read all the terms provided in the manual and the same must be circulated to the members of organizations.
- Step 2:After reading all the terms, the next step is to bring the application form from the ISO certification body
- Step 3: After the application is made, there will be an investigation on the structure and management system of the organization and any suggestions will be provided if required.
- Step 4: After auditing all the documents provided to the certification body. If satisfied the ISO certification body will provide a certificate.
- Step 5: After certification, the ISO body will again re-audit if the company is improving after certification, is there any changes in the system that will be verified.
So there were simple steps to be followed if you want your company to get ISO 22000:2018 certified.
Documents Required for ISO Certification Process in India
The documents which should be attached along with the application are as follows.
- Management audit report.
- Authority and duty record.
- Having a record of hazardous items.
- HACCP plan.
- Food safety policy.
- Information about your employees
- Information about your business.
- Information regarding contracts with suppliers.
Cost of ISO 20000 Certification in India and how it is calculated.
The cost of the ISO 22000 certificate cannot be fixed as it majorly depends upon the size, infrastructure, and complexity of the business which includes the cost of paperwork, the cost of internal audit, software cost, consultant fees, etc.
What is the duration of the iso 22000 Certification?
In order to get ISO 22000 certified to your company, you must wait for at least 3 to 15 working days. It may get delayed if there is any problem in the verification process.
How long does ISO 22000 certification last?
The ISO 22000 certificate is valid for 3 years from the date of obtaining a certificate.
How does ISO 22000 benefit consumers?
As there are many food-related organizations across the globe, if you want your organization to stand out certain things must be included such as getting certified which helps in the financial growth of the business and also helps to gain the trust of the customers. There are more benefits explained such as,
- As ISO is a globally recognized organization, getting certified by them is very helpful for your company if you want to trade internationally.
- The standard makes sure that there are no harmful substances in the food. So it makes them less liable to the customers.
- The standard also guides the company in the consistent improvement of the work of the company such as packaging, production, etc which ends in the best outcome for the organization
- The international market opens up to those organizations which have more trusted customers and are unique than their competitors. So getting a Certification is what you benefit from it.
- As the standard checks every aspect of the food processor in the organization, the products are made reliable thus it creates a smooth relationship between the organization and customers.
- If you have the proper standards to guide every step you take and proper sales of your products then it automatically motivates you to expand your business.
- As it prescribes certain instructions to be followed, this helps you reduce maximum errors and increase customer satisfaction.
- People tend to depend more on certified foods, getting certified helps you to sell such products.
So these were the benefits which you get when you are certified.